Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Surgery details

Man, this laying around thing is actually pretty exhausting! I'm pretty sure I had in my head that I'd have time to watch all the shows, read all the books and blogs, and be able to complete anything I wanted. But I was clearly mistaken! I'm just so tired and have such low energy, and I use a lot of it at PT, or just walking to the bathroom every hour. I literally feel like I'm taking turns in the Game Ready and CPM  too. 

I'm not in a lot of pain other than this burning/tingling feeling in my leg where the incisions are. Obviously I'm sore, but I'm not in any hip pain like I've had. So that's good. 

But you probably want to hear how the surgery went .... And luckily, it went awesome- as far as my doctor was concerned! I think I was in surgery for 3.5 hours, and most of that was shaving the bone down. Apparently, my impingement was pretty bad, that it was putting pressure on my cartilage and making it soft (it's not supposed to be soft). I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I think that if it were to continue going on (like if I didn't get the surgery), I would've gotten arthritis pretty early and probably a total hip replacement. So my doctor actually said he was glad we caught it early, which makes me feel SO much better about getting the surgery done, too.

The other good news is .... I didn't have to get my labrum repaired! No anchors into my bone! Yay! So that'll mean easier recovery. Apparently some of the labrum was fraying at the edges, so he just cut it off, but it wasn't torn. 

He gave me several pictures, and one of them showed all of the irritation where the impingement was, so again, that confirms I made the right decision. I know i was really hard on myself and kept questioning if I should go through surgery, but after all is said and done, and from what my doctor said I think we are all in agreement it was the right thing to do. 

In fact, it makes me want to do the other one later this year for sure. Of course, I'm still hoping all of the symptoms on my non operative hip will disappear, bc no surgery is better than no surgery though, ha ha!

I had PT today and I go again tomorrow, but it wasn't bad at all. I also rode the bike at no resistance for 5 minutes, and was told I could do that twice per day. My therapist gave me a talking to about not pushing it, bc she knows I love to be active but I can not overdo it now. I feel like I have no worries in the state I am now, bc I'm just so tired! In fact, I know I wanted to try lifting upper body soon, but I literally couldn't if I wanted to! No energy! Maybe once I am completely off pain medicine I'll feel better ...

No comments:

Post a Comment